Independence Community College (ICC) is a two-year institution accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. It was established in 1925 as grades 13 and 14 of the Independence public school system. In 1967, the college legally separated from the school district. Construction of the new community college on a 68 acre campus, formerly the Independence Country Club, began in 1969. Classes began at the new site in September 1970. Our campus is now home to the Academic Building, Fine Arts Building, Student Union, Cessna Learning Center, Field House, Administration Building, William Inge Center for the Arts, fitness center, athletic practice fields, disc golf course, 96-bed multi-structure living complex, and a 200 bed residence hall.
With many renovations to a donated building, in 2010, we expanded our college to include ICC West (2615 West Main Street). This campus is located on the west side of Independence and is home to our technical programs: Allied Health, EMS, Cosmetology, and GED/ABE. Additional renovations were completed in 2012 to accomodate our newest program, Veterinary Technology. This state-of-the-art facility includes animal wards, a classroom, lab, surgery, pharmacy, prep room, small animal treatment, food prep, grooming, and radiology.
ICC also has a presence downtown with the ICC Foundation office and a partnership with the Independence Business Resource Center.
Currently, our educational and support programming includes 46 programs of study for Associates of Arts and/or Science degrees, 22 programs of study for Certificate completion, Student Support Services, men's and women's athletic programs, and a variety of campus organizations and activities.
- Integrity: ICC holds its employees and students accountable to be honest, ethical, and transparent.
- Excellence: ICC demonstrates continuous quality improvement in academics and services offered to students and other stakeholders.
- Responsiveness: ICC looks to the future by responding to the emerging needs of its stakeholders.
- Diversity/Enrichment: ICC provides an environment that values uniqueness while promoting personal growth through creativity and innovation.
- Commitment: ICC commits to making decisions that best serve its students and community.
Accreditation and Statistics: ICC is accredited by the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education, 30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2400, Chicago, IL 60602, 1-800-621-7440.
Board of Trustees: The Board of Trustees members are elected by the Montgomery County voters within the college taxing district as authorized by Kansas Statutes.